Monday, April 24, 2006

Coverity, 1 down and 29 to go

When I first brought up the idea of Coverity's scans, some of my Ruby friends told me that it would be a waste of time. "There will be too many false positives", or similar reasons were given. When the invitation to sign up for the scan readers was posted to the ruby-core mailing list and didn't seem to draw any interest, I was worried that they were right.

I was wrong. I decided to sign up with coverity, and post one of the errors to the ruby-core list. Less than twelve hours later, I got an email from Hidetoshi NAGAI. It said: "Than you for your report. I've fixed it on CVS."

Then I went over to the Coverity's Report and found that they'd already updated it to show just 29 defects and a 4% drop in the defect rate. I'm posting another defect now.

No comments: