We had a small group last night (only three people), but we still had a productive hacking night. Kevin, Devlin, and I decided to work on Ruby. Since we've got access to the Coverity scan data, we thought it would be worthwhile to look at some of the defects to see if there were reasonable ways to fix them.
We looked at four problems, identified one of them as a likely false positive, and provided patches for the other three. All of the patches ended up being one or two lines of code changes, little things that are easy to lose in a big pile of code. All of our changes have been posted back to the ruby-core mailing list, and hopefuly will be applied soon.
They may have to wait a bit though, as matz posted a message saying that he was in the middle of a large set of changes and it might be a couple of weeks before he applies incoming patches. Hopefully ours are small and simple enough that they can be snuck in quickly, without disrupting matz' work.
postscript — Today, as I sat on the bus in to Salt Lake, someone sat down next to me and opened up a copy of Agile Web Development with Rails. We started talking about Ruby, and it turns out that he works with the guys who are driving the urug/slc.rb. Since he lives down close to me though, I invited him to come out to our urug/utahvalley.rb meetings/hacking nights. Hopefully we'll have a new member to help bolster the ranks.