Monday, November 17, 2008

Manga and Statistics

I don't have a lot of formal math training, so I'm always looking out for books that can help me bolster what I consider to be a weaker subject for me. When I saw that No Starch Press had released The Manga Guide to Statistics, I was immediately drawn to the idea. As soon as I started reading it, I found myself much more interested than I ever thought I'd be in a math book. The manga setting of the books provides a good hook for picking up the math. I've got to say that the Lolita-ish relationship between the two main characters is a bit unsettling at times — I guess that's par for the course though. The format also allows easier graphical representation of topics, although this breaks down a bit in later chapters. I've already had a couple of instances where I've recommended the book to a co-worker or friend who was boggled by statistics. I'll probably continue to recommend it when I run into similar situations. If you've already got a solid handle on even basic statistics, this book probably isn't for you, but for the rest of us it's a winner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this suggestion