Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pragmatic Thinking & Learning

I've been reading Pragmatic Thinking and Learning and I really love it. It's one of those books that's really hard to put down, but really hard to read straight through. I find myself constantly going back to sections, making notes, and thinking about how to apply ideas.

I'm working at applying two of the ideas right now. I'm building a personal wiki (using emacs wiki mode) to better manage my personal, scouting, and professional lives. I'm only a couple of days into this, but I foresee a lot of wiki gardening as I sort things into a better management system for myself.

I'm also working on becoming more intentional in my reading, both using the SQ3R model Andy describes and picking the books that I read more carefully.

It's interesting to see how books like this cut across different aspects of your life, improving all of them. I think I'm going to develop the same kind of 'go back and reread it again' relationship with Pragmatic Thinking and Learning that I have with The Pragmatic Programmer. It's just that good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I read that book, the first next step was to read 'the mind map book'. Believe me that after that I've learned more than what I thought possible.