Monday, June 11, 2007

JRuby 1.0 -- Congratulations guys!

I’m a day late on this one, but the JRuby team cut their 1.0 release yesterday. This release has targeted 1.8 compatibility, and they’ve done a great job. Performance still lags a bit, but I think they’re on the right track to get things going there too.

I’m looking forward to seeing what these guys pull out of their hat over the next six months. I really hope they spend more time on performance than on adding 1.9 features, but since I’m not sending in patches I don’t have a lot of say in it. I’m also hoping that the next six months sees more cross-pollination between XRuby, rubinius, and JRuby—the different approaches are each paying off in different ways so far.

I’ve installed the 1.0 binary release of JRuby (an incredibly easy install, by the way) and run it through the LogWatchR time tests I’ve been running, but I get the same results as last time (with the 0.9.9 release) so I won’t bother recreating those tables here.

No comments: