Wednesday, August 23, 2006

UtahValley.rb August meeting

Last night (22 Aug), the UtahValley.rb met again. We had eight people turn out, four new folks and four veterans. Actually, since this was the first week of class at BYU (where we meet), this wasn't a bad turnout.

I presented my (nearly finished) talk about Libraries for Developers — I'm giving it at RubyConf*MI on Saturday. Doing a rehearsal/development talk in front of some friendly faces is a great way to improve the talk as a whole. I came away with several important changes I plan on making over the next couple of days. I'm also a lot more comfortable with the talk than I was when it was just a set of slides brewing in OOimpress.

We didn't cover too much else, although I was able to mention a Ruby consulting opportunity with the team I work for at the LDS church. If you're interested in working on Ruby (and maybe a bit of Perl/Shell) stuff for a year or so for us, feel free to drop me a line.

Our next meetings will be Sep 12th (BYU RUG) and Sep 26th (UtahValley.rb). No announcements yet as to what we'll talk about, though the meeting on the 12th is traditionally an intro to Ruby (where we try to recruit new CS students).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for welcoming my wife and me to the group yesterday. I learned that I really am starting to get a concept of what Ruby is all about, but I still have a way to go.

I'll be seeing you and the others in cyberland for this semester at least.

Break a leg at Rubyconf*MI!