Now that Charles Nutter has tagged me with the Five Things meme, I guess I ought to give it a shot. Here are five things you probably don't know about me:
- I never intended to get into computing as anything more than a hobby. I planned on being a chmical engineer instead.
I joined the army straight out of High School to earn money to go to college, and got involved in computers and networks. Then when I got out, Boeing offered me a job and I just never found my way back to school.
- (From the above) I'm self-taught (well, I have an unorthodox education — I've learned a lot from a lot of people)... no degree, only a few college level classes taken here and there.
- I used to manage the Koha project. It's a free software library management system. It looks like they're doing just fine without me though.
- I'm a fan of the classical period, and humanities in general. I read the Illiad and the Oddesey when I was in fourth grade (my dad's method of getting me to read stuff was to leave copies sitting around) and haven't looked back. If I could figure out a way to get paid for sitting in a musty library reading old latin/greek/syriac/hebrew texts I'd drop this computing stuff in a heartbeat.
- I'd really like to write a book of textual/literary analysis of the sermons/discourses of Alma the Younger in the Books of Alma and Mosiah in the Book of Mormon.